Kemi’s social services for refugees are aimed at adults who have moved to Kemi, are following an integration plan, are quota refugees, and those who have obtained a residence permit, as well as immigrant families with children.

Refugee services carry out statutory integration work. The aim is to support clients’ independent survival, functional capacity and inclusion in a multidisciplinary manner, and to prevent exclusion.

Persons in need of emergency medical treatment have the right to receive treatment regardless of the country of which they are citizens. The right to other health care services is determined by the type of residence permit that a person has. 

Health services for asylum seekers are organized by reception centres in cooperation with municipalities and other service providers. Those with a residence permit who have a permanent residence in Finland are entitled to social and health services even if they are not Finnish citizens.

The municipality organises health care services for immigrants in which experts familiar with integration and special issues regarding immigrants work in multi-professional cooperation with other actors. These services can be accessed through the health centre.

Interpretation Services

Interpretation services are provided mainly by Polaris Kielipalvelut Oy language service

Social Services

Locals have access to many types of social services offered by the City of Kemi. The town provides specific services for children, young people, families, people of working age and the elderly, in the form of social work, elderly services, child welfare and services for the disabled and the mentally handicapped, amongst others.

Opening Times for the Information Office, Service Counselling and Social Services Office 

The front door of the social services office is open on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 12 noon to 3 p.m.

The information office is open during these opening hours.

The social services office offers service counselling without an appointment on weekdays from 12 noon to 3 p.m. Service counselling is available via telephone on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The need for service counselling may relate to, for example, a child’s well-being, housing support and financial problems, substance abuse or mental health issues, domestic or intimate partner violence.

The service counsellor also receives child welfare notifications for example.

In cases of sudden crises and child protection issues, call the emergency number 0400 291 141.